Wednesday, May 2, 2012

My eyes brim every time

Today after a long time I decided to sing Nasir; one of my favourite poets from Pakistan, apart from Faiz.
I just managed to sing two lines of this ghazal and my heart wept, tears came out of my eyes. I wonder if I will ever be able to sing this poem out aloud. there is so much of pain in this at the act of barbarism in the world.
 شہر دار شہر گھر ججلاےگیے 
یوں بھی جشن-ا-تراب مانے 
 shehar dar shehar ghar jaalaaye gaye
yoon bhi jashan-e-tarab manaaye gaye

my simple annnotation-
(town after town was burnt down
this way also some celebrated their joys)

शहर दर शहर घर जलाए गए 
यूं भी जशने तरब मनाये गए 

I think it will take a lot of valour in the hear to sing this one, because the moment I attempt it, the pictures of houses burning, people screaming, smoke, running feet, heat, commotions fill my mind- as though I am sitting in the midst of it and trying to sing!

No comments:

Post a Comment